Romania and America began to have much in common after the 1989 Revolution, but the story begins in the early days.
In the twentieth century, diplomatic relations between the United States and Romania fluctuated and did not seem to be good at all. Specifically, Romania fought on the side of the Allies in the Great War, and in 1941 Romania declared war on the United States, with the beginning of the Cold War, which shows us that in history, Romania and the United States were not in the best relations. .
The 1970s come with a sunrise, with the removal of the foreign policy exercised by the Soviet Union over Romania. At the same time, there are important cultural, scientific and educational exchanges and visits by the presidents of the two countries that marked the improvement of the transatlantic relationship. However, the turning point is 1989, the year in which the communist regime was overthrown by the Romanian population, and the two states were able to begin consolidating a fruitful relationship.
By strategic partnership between Romania and the United States of America we mean security and foreign policy, assumed by both states, which have as foreground the realization of privileged relations in the military, economic and political field. Romania collaborates with the United States of America through the prism of the European alliance of which it is part, but also independently of it. At the same time, one can observe the consumption habits that were borrowed from the American culture and transposed directly or indirectly into the Romanian one. First of all, we can refer to the neologisms that we use very often, such as “weekend”, “sandwich”, “hello”, “thanks” and words taken from the corporate environment. These features of the development of society also come against the background of globalization, a process initiated by the United States.
Also here must be mentioned the document attesting to the strong link between the United States and Romania – ” Joint Declaration on the Strategic Partnership for the XXI Century”. This document sets out the bilateral, long-term and growing relationship. The pillars on which this partnership is based: political dialogue, security, economy, people-to-people contacts, science and technology, research, education, culture.
The bilateral dialogue between the two countries took the following formats:
- Strategic dialogue meeting at political level (the last one took place in Bucharest on July 16, 2019)
- Interim meeting of strategic dialogue at technical level (the last one took place in Bucharest on July 16, 2019
- At the same time, within the framework of the declaration, it was decided to set up a Working Group for the implementation of the principles agreed in “Joint Declaration on the Strategic Partnership for the 21st Century”
Finally, through all this little historical account we can see that the relationship between the United States and Romania has not been in turmoil over time, but in the last 20 years, for Romania, the United States is a reliable ally.
You can find the Embassy of the United States in Romania at Doctor Liviu Librescu Boulevard, 4-6, Bucharest and the Embassy of Romania in the United States of America at 1607 23rd St NW Washington, D.C., 20008.
- „Declarația Comună privind Parteneriatul Strategic pentru Secolul XXI”: http://www.mae.ro/sites/default/files/file/2011.09.13_declaratie.pdf
Cornelius Seciu – Legal Intern
R&R Partners Bucharest
Keep up to date with our latest articles!
- 5 reasons to register your trademark
- 8 curiosities about the Romanian Law
- How to regain your Romanian citizenship in 6 steps
- 5 Romanian Lawyers who changed the face of law – Part I
- 5 Romanian Lawyers who changed the face of law – Part II