Romanian Student Visa

What is the Romanian student visa (D/SD)?

This long-stay visa for studies allows you to come and study in Romania for pre-graduate, graduate and even postgraduate studies. It also allows you to have a part time job while completing your studies, if you meet the legal requirements to get employed.

Who can apply for the student visa?

You can apply for such a visa if you are a student, trainee or pupil coming from outside the EU, generally referred to as third-country national.

Pupils must be between 13-19 years old and they can also be part of an exchange or educational project in Romania.

Trainees must hold a degree of higher education or study for such a degree, while being involved in a training programme which prepares them for the professional environment.

In all cases, the university or school where you intend to study must be accredited according to the legal provisions, being either a private or a state institution.

How can I apply for a student visa?

You can apply for a student visa at the Romanian embassy or consulate in your home country.

Your visa application must include a series of documents, which differs a little depending if you are a student, pupil in an exchange programme or trainee.

If you are student, for example, the most important documents are the proof that you have been accepted into your accredited university, your first year of studies was paid and you have the necessary financial means to support yourself during your studies.

How long can I stay in Romania based on this visa?

The studies visa is a D/SD visa, which means you can stay here long term, for a maximum of 90 days. After arriving in the country, you must apply for a Romanian residency permit at least 30 days before your visa expires, so in your first 60 days of legal stay.

If you overstay your visa you can get a fine. And if you overstay for a very long time, you can even get deported or, in some cases, even get banned from future travels to Romania.

Is a visa different from a residency permit?

Yes, a visa usually grants you the right to enter Romania and stay here for a limited period of time, in this case maximum 3 months. But if you want to live in Romania for a longer period, which in the case of studies is a must, you will need a residency permit.

Therefore, the first step is to apply for a visa in your home country. And if you want to actually live in Romania, the second mandatory step is to apply for a Romanian residency permit at the Immigration Office (IGI) after you arrive in the country.

In all cases, our advice is to reach out to a specialised immigration lawyer in order to be sure that your visa application is processed without any issues.

– – –

If you want to obtain Romanian citizenship, do not miss our Amazon eBook. This material will help you prepare for the citizenship exam, find out more details here.

Keep up to date with our latest articles!

Leave a comment