Romanian religious visa

What is the Romanian religious visa (D/AR)?

It is a long-stay visa which allows you to travel to Romania and conduct activities in the area of organised cults, otherwise known as religious activities.

This kind of visa is very useful for missionaries and even priests from other countries, who want to practice their faith and even obtain new cult followers from Romania.

Who can obtain a religious visa?

Non-EU citizens, otherwise known as third country nationals, can apply for religious visas. The main condition is that they carry out such activities for a cult which is officially recognised in Romania.

Therefore, you cannot come to Romania on a religious visa if you never conducted cult related activities in your country of origin or if you want to set up a new kind of religion or cult activity in Romania, which is not already recognised by the authorities.

How can I apply for the religious visa?

You can apply for a religious visa at the Romanian embassy or consulate in your home country.

Your visa application must include a series of documents, among others: endorsement from the Romanian State Secretariat for Faiths, proof that you indeed represent a religious organisation which is legally set up in Romania, evidence that you have financial means of living and a place to stay in Romania.

How long can I stay in Romania based on this visa?

The employment visa is a D/AR visa, which means you can stay here long term, for a maximum of 90 days. After arriving in the country, you must apply for a Romanian residency permit at least 30 days before your visa expires, so in your first 60 days of legal stay.

If you overstay your visa, you can get a fine. And if you overstay for a very long time, you can even get deported or, in some cases, even get banned from future travels to Romania.

Is a visa different from a residency permit?

Yes, a visa usually grants you the right to enter Romania and stay here for a limited period of time, in this case maximum 3 months. But if you want to live in Romania for a longer period you will need a residency permit.

Therefore, the first step is to apply for a visa in your home country. And if you want to actually live in Romania, the second mandatory step is to apply for a Romanian residency permit at the Immigration Office (IGI) after you arrive in the country.

In all cases, our advice is to reach out to a specialised immigration lawyer in order to be sure that your visa application is processed without any issues.

– – –

If you want to obtain Romanian citizenship, do not miss our Amazon eBook. This material will help you prepare for the citizenship exam, find out more details here.

Keep up to date with our latest articles!

Leave a comment