What is the Romanian employment visa (D/AM)?

It is a long-stay visa which allows you to travel to Romania and work here as a full-time employee, as seconded staff or other type of worker.

Are there any necessary formalities before obtaining the visa?

Yes, first you need to find an employer in Romania and check what type of work contract you will sign with them. Afterwards, the employer has to undergo a prior clearance procedure in front of the immigration office (IGI).

If the employer passes the procedure, they will be granted a special type of certification for taking you on as an employee (aviz de munca).

Who can obtain an employment visa?

Companies can employ any foreigner who had their studies officially recognised by the Romanian authorities and is able to occupy a vacant position, if the company demonstrates they could not find any Romanian citizen suitable for that certain job.

How can I apply for the employment visa?

You can apply for an employment visa at the Romanian embassy or consulate in your home country.

Your visa application must include a series of documents, the most important being the approval (aviz de munca) obtained by the company which wants to hire you.

How long can I stay in Romania based on this visa?

The employment visa is a D/AM visa, which means you can stay here long term, for a maximum of 90 days. After arriving in the country, you must apply for a Romanian residency permit at least 30 days before your visa expires, so in your first 60 days of legal stay.

If you overstay your visa, you can get a fine. And if you overstay for a very long time, you can even get deported or, in some cases, even get banned from future travels to Romania.

Is a visa different from a residency permit?

Yes, a visa usually grants you the right to enter Romania and stay here for a limited period of time, in this case maximum 3 months. But if you want to live in Romania for a longer period, which in the case of work is a must, you will need a residency permit.

Therefore, the first step is to apply for a visa in your home country. And if you want to actually live in Romania, the second mandatory step is to apply for a Romanian residency permit at the Immigration Office (IGI) after you arrive in the country.

In all cases, our advice is to reach out to a specialised immigration lawyer in order to be sure that your visa application is processed without any issues.

Keep up to date with our latest articles!