If you are a non-UE citizen and want to stay long-term in Romania, you should get a valid  Romanian residence permit.

But this permit can’t be obtained so easily, you must have a legal basis for this residence.

Whether it concerns a job in Romania, opening a business, Romanian relatives or a marriage with a Romanian citizen, you should analyze all the options and choose the best one for you.

Did you know that if you come from certain countries you have a lot of benefits and can obtain the residence permit in Romania more simple and faster, based on certain exceptions from the law?

Who can get the fast residency permit?

If you are a USA, Canada or Japanese citizen, you can get the permit for commercial activities if you open a limited liability Romanian firm.

People who come from these countries have a special regime. Normally, non-UE citizens should invest tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of euros in Romania to benefit from residence, which is not necessary for USA, Canada or Japanese citizens.

Do I need a minimum investment or employees in my company?

No. Your SRL doesn’t need to have employees, a working point, not even any income at the beginning. You can be a sole associate or administrator and have a minimum investment of 50 Euros.

But after the first year of residency, when you apply for the extension of the residency permit, you should prove that your firm is active and it has some income or expenses.

For the first year it is enough to have a valid firm to start your economic activity in Romania.

Can I associate with another expat in my firm?

Yes. If you want to obtain the residency permit with a friend or your spouse (also a person from the USA, Canada, or Japan), you can be associates and administrators at the firm together.

In other words, each person doesn’t need to have his own SRL to obtain residency. It is enough to set up a firm together and apply for the residency permit for commercial affairs based on the same company. However, we don’t recommend to have a lot of associates and administrators in the same firm.

How long is the residence valid?

This residency permit is available for one year.

When this year ends, you can apply for a new permit based on the same firm. There is no legal limit for reapplying on residency purpose. You can live in Romania for a long time, while you keep the SRL active and it has some sort of economic activity.

Where do I submit my residency file?

In order to get the permit, you must submit your residency file with the General Inspectorate for Immigration (IGI) from the town where you live. For example, if you live in Bucharest, you will apply at IGI Bucharest.

The documents can also be submitted online, after which you’ll receive a date to come in person at the IGI office to have your documents checked. If the documents are ok, the application will be received by the authority, you will be photographed for the permit and you will receive a ticket with the date when you have to come again to pick up the permit.

Which documents should my residency file contain?

Your application should contain a series of documents, the most important ones being:

  • proof you paid the residence permit fees,
  • your passport,
  • old residence permit (if you request renewal),
  • documents regarding housing in Romania,
  • proof that your SRL exists and it is active,
  • health insurance,
  • medical certificate.

How long does it take to get my permit?

From the moment you file for residency, it takes about 30 days to obtain the permit itself.

– – –

If you want to obtain Romanian citizenship, do not miss our Amazon eBook. This material will help you prepare for the citizenship exam, find out more details here.

If you would like to address more questions or if you need a legal consultation, you can contact us at office@rrpb.ro or by accessing our site www.rrpb.ro for more information.

Keep up to date with our latest articles!