How can I change my tax residency?

As an expat in Romania, do I have to set up my tax residency?

Yes, establishing your fiscal residency is a new tax obligation, imposed by the 2015 Romanian Tax Code. Any foreign citizen who lives minimum 183 days within one year in Romania has to declare their stay in this country, in order to establish their fiscal residency.

In other words, you have to notify your situation to the tax authorities (ANAF) and based on your file, they will decide whether you become a Romanian tax resident or not.

How do I know if I have to establish my tax residency in Romania?

According to Romanian law, you have to submit a set of documents with a questionnaire to the Romanian tax authority, if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • you have your legal domicile in Romania
  • you spend more than 183 days within 12 consecutive months inside/outside Romanian borders
  • your vital living interests have been ‘transferred’ to Romania (for expats) or to a foreign state (for Romanians)

What is a person’s vital interests?

The Tax Code refers to a person’s vital interest as a mixture between ‘financial relationships’ and ‘personal relationships’:

  • Financial relations refer to your statute as a Romanian employee, property owned (shares or real estate), bank accounts, debit or credit cards, depending on the case
  • Personal relations refer to having a spouse, a child or a person you take care of in Romania, membership in a Romanian association, foundation or church

Basically, the Tax Authorities make an audit report of your life, in order to deduct if you have many ties to Romania and, therefore, if you can be considered a Romanian tax resident or not.

What happens if I meet one of the above conditions?

We advise you to discuss your situation with a tax lawyer, in order to evaluate the consequences of moving your residency to Romania. A pre-analysis with an expert can save you thousands of euros in taxes. Moreover, it is a lot easier to prevent a taxation problem than to fix it.

If you fulfill any of the above conditions, you must submit a personal file to the Tax Authorities and a questionnaire, where you detail your economic and personal ties to Romania.

What happens if I become a Romanian tax resident?

After you become a Romanian tax resident, all income you receive from different countries will be first taxed in those countries and later transferred to Romania, also complying with any applicable conventions against double taxation.

Being a Romanian tax resident is also useful if you receive income from abroad and you wish to become a Romanian citizen. By becoming a tax resident in Romania, all income you receive from aboard will be declared in Romania and you will be able to easily prove your means of living when you file for citizenship.

What happens if I do not submit the tax statement?

If you do not declare your tax residency after meeting one of the above criteria, the Tax Authority will issue a tax fine as soon as they notice your long stay or long leave from the country.

The authorities will issue an official taxation decision, by which they set the tax obligations and penalties you have to pay.

What happens if I do not obtain my Romanian tax residency?

If you do not obtain the tax residency, you will remain a foreign tax resident and the Romanian authorities will not tax any income you gain in other countries.

However, you still have to pay taxes in Romania for all income gained in this country. For example, if you own a Romanian company, you will pay income tax in Romania for any proceeds of your business.

Is it better to become a Romanian tax resident or remain a foreign tax resident?

This depends from case to case, considering how high income the taxes are in your home country compared to Romania, what international conventions are applicable etc.

It would be best to consult a tax lawyer or financial consultant, in order to make the best decision in your particular case.

I was declared a Romanian tax resident and now I have to pay more taxes. Can I do something about this?

The tax notification from ANAF can be appealed at the Romanian courts of justice within 45 days from receiving it. So you have to notify your lawyer or legal advisor as soon as possible when you receive this unfavorable notice, otherwise you might lose your term for appeal.

Remus Popovici

Managing Partner – R&R Partners Bucharest

– – –

If you want to obtain Romanian citizenship, do not miss our Amazon eBook. This material will help you prepare for the citizenship exam, find out more details here.

If you would like to address more questions or if you need a legal consultation, you can contact us at or by accessing our site for more information.

Keep up to date with our latest articles!


  • Mikael Larsson
    Posted July 19, 2021 3:16 pm

    Dear Sirs,
    I saw your site when I searched for tax residency. Recently I have applied for pension from Sweden, but have not got an answer yet. The Swedish tax authorities though wrote me a message saying that they will take 25% in taxes. Money I get absolutely nothing from. As I understand it there is a deal between Sweden and Romania which lets one avoid double taxation. But probably I have to be tax resident here.

    I live here since 6 years. Last year I renewed my residence card. I live in an apartment which is in my name and fully paid. I pay local taxes for it etc. I also have a car, and a cat.

    I want to pay taxes on my pension here, only. Not in Sweden. I have no intention to move anywhere. I have no business in Sweden and I do not own anything there. The tax authorities there also informed that I do not need to hand in any income declaration from now on. This year they did not even send me one.

    Can you help me with this? If so, about how much would it cost? Can it be done here in Bucuresti?

    Thank you. Best regards,
    Mikael Larsson
    0740 839 417

    • R&R Partners Bucharest
      Posted August 2, 2021 3:23 pm

      Hello, you also wrote to us by email, we responded to you there. We can help you if you want to apply for tax residency in Romania, you can book a consultation directly with us here and discuss more: All the best!

  • Gabriel
    Posted November 13, 2021 4:28 am

    Hello, I have a Romanian citizenship but have never lived in Romania (dual citizenship).

    If I open a Romanian SRL as a Romanian citizen, would that be enough for receiving tax residency in Romania? Or do I need to go through the same process that any other EU citizen goes through?

    Thank you once again 🙂

Leave a comment